Seasonal Recipe from the Kitchen
Spring is a very busy time in the Hell Bay kitchen as we plan for the season ahead and make use of superb local produce.
Head Chef Richard Kearsley shares one of his favourite spring dishes...
Cajun-spiced sea trout and fresh egg pasta with a rocket, mint and almond pesto, spring peas and purple broccoli tops
Sea trout 4 x 180g portions
1 tsp Cajun spice mix (available in most supermarkets)
250g 00 pasta flour
12 egg yolks
½ tsp salt
Splash of olive oil
Rocket, mint and almond pesto
1 clove garlic, crushed
40g fresh wild rocket leaves
10g fresh mint
20g grated Parmesan cheese
20g almond flakes
1 tsp salt
Olive oil to form a paste
1 cup of fresh shelled peas
2 bunches of purple sprouting broccoli
1 courgette, spiralized
1. Mix together 30g salt and 20g sugar in 400ml of water in a snug container, marinade the sea trout fillets within the cure for 20-30 minutes, then rinse and pat completely dry.
2. Coat the upper surface of the fillets with Cajun spice mix to cover, patting down to form a dry crust, and place in the fridge.
3. Place the pasta flour in a food processor and add all the remaining ingredients. Turn the processor on and let the pasta dough bind together, then remove from the machine and knead into a ball. Wrap in cling film and rest in the fridge.
4. Place all the pesto ingredients in a blender and blend until you are happy with the consistency. Store in a sealed jar until required – you should have enough left for another day.
5. Place a pan of salted water on the hob. Roll out the pasta dough and cut into tagliatelle, dusting in semolina until needed.
6. Place a heavy-bottomed non-stick frying pan on the stove and seal the sea trout in a little olive oil, skin-side down first, until you get a crisp skin. Turn and finish the fish with a splash of lemon juice.
7. Meanwhile, add the fresh pasta to the water and cook for 2 minutes. At the last minute, drop the peas and broccoli tops into the water and cook for a further 30 seconds. Strain and drizzle with olive oil.
8. Place the pasta and vegetables into a bowl, place the sea trout on top and garnish with the courgette ribbons.Back To Blog
The Island of Bryher
White sandy beaches, grassy knolls, and spectacular ocean views.